The mayor of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Patricia Hernández, and the councilor of Public Services, José Ángel Martín, along with the executive director of Sacyr Servicios, Fernando Lozano; the director of Valoriza Medioambiente’s southern area, José Luis Salegui; and the service manager, David Posada, this morning presented the improvements in the cleaning and waste collection service.
On December 1, Valoriza Medioambiente began providing the city cleaning, waste collection and transportation service for Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Canary Islands). The contract has a duration of eight years and has a total worth of 142 million euros.
The service improvements include:
- Upgrading the fleet, which will have 97 vehicles, of which 80% will be more sustainable, less polluting and will greatly reduce noise levels.
- the gradual incorporation of the selective collection of organic waste,
- a roaming cleaning point that will cover all neighborhoods once per month, and will manage five types of waste: clothes and shoes, vegetable oil, batteries, printer ink and toner, and glass bottles;
- The installation of a waste traceability system, which will enable exactly knowing the particular needs of each point;
- a new citizen service office to provide a swift reply to requests from the residents of Santa Cruz;
- the updating and expansion of nearly 6,000 containers, which will include Smart Elements, to provide information in real time. What’s more, they are designed to make cleaning and maintaining them in top operating condition easy, agile and efficient.
- and the distribution of domestic composters in rural areas.
In addition, for the first time, the cleaning of gullies as well as a specific service in the port area where cruise ships arrive throughout the year will be carried out.
As part of the service, environmental awareness-raising campaigns will also be implemented as well as the collection of organic material at large-scale producers, such as hotels, bars, schools, hospitals and residences for the elderly.
The service fleet will comprise 39% electric vehicles, 39% compressed natural gas vehicles, and 2% hybrid vehicles. It will also be equipped with a GPS monitoring system which will enable data about the routes and work carried out to be obtained in real time.
The contract for Santa Cruz, which has a population of 205,000, will be one of the most important contracts in Valoriza Medioambiente’s portfolio.
Valoriza Medioambiente provides waste collection and street cleaning services in 400 municipalities in Spain (Madrid, Albacete, Toledo, Guadalajara, Soria and Cádiz, among others) and Colombia. Overall, the company has a client base worth over 2 billion euros and provides services to over 5 million people.