These are some of the main actions that Sacyr has taken to help combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
Donations in Spain, Portugal, Peru, Paraguay and Uruguay for the purchase of health equipment.
Donation of food. Cafestore, the manager of the group’s service areas, has delivered more than 2,000 kg of food to associations or foundations involved in this issue. Donations have been made in Valencia, Vitoria, Mollina (Malaga), Arroyo de la Miel (Malaga), Tudela (Navarra) and Cabezón de la Sal (Cantabria).
We have also participated in Colombia with the donation of food baskets.
Hospital concessions. Sacyr Concessions, which manages seven hospitals in Spain, Portugal, Chile and Mexico, has carried out all actions available to it to deal with this crisis in the two centers located in the epicenter of the disease: Infanta Cristina University Hospital (Parla) and Henares University Hospital (Coslada):
- Increase of more than 100 bedsto cope with the rise in patients, increasing their number to 150% of those that existed before this crisis;
- Purchase of many items of equipment and strengthening of the workforce as a result of this expansion, with more porters and cleaning staff.
- Strengthening of TIGAs [Transporte Interno y Gestión Auxiliar, Internal Transport and Auxiliary Management] in hospitals and inpatient hotels: 26 new people hired. (03/26)
- Strengthening of cleaning staff: 11 new people hired (03/26)
- Overtime by all staff, including maintenance and concession staff.
- Purchase of patient beds (around 90) plus acceptance of hotel beds. Purchase of 21 ICU beds, purchase of all required equipment: flowmeters, bedside tables, IV stands, stretchers, Pyxis, etc.
- Waste, laundry, catering: increased services due to greater volume of waste, clothing, hospital stays and on-call doctors, increased cleaning products and bathroom supplies, etc.
- Free TV in all rooms since before being requested by the Autonomous Community of Madrid
- Incorporation of personnel in the hotels fitted out to care for patients, one in Parla and one in Coslada.
- Full-time management of the crisis with the hospital’s clinical management; they have delegated any necessary infrastructure actions to our teams.
- Additionally, due to the current situation, a working group between the Spain and Portugal facilities has been created to share the measures taken in Madrid with our colleagues in Braga, Vila Franca and the Azores. It has joined forces with the transport interchanges team, which is also taking action on its facilities to prevent any contagion among its users.
Parking spaces. Sacyr Concessions has made free spaces available in the parking garage at Calle Daoiz y Velarde (Madrid) to health workers who need them. It is also keeping the Moncloa (Madrid) parking garage open and free of charge for health personnel who need it.
Rent holidays. Sacyr Concessions has granted rent holidays to tenants of commercial premises in the hospitals and interchanges that it manages and in the Setas de Sevilla.
At Gregorio Marañón Hospital in Madrid. The Sacyr Engineering and Infrastructure team is promoting initiatives to increase the number of beds in the hospital. It has already increased capacity by more than 49 beds. The first action was taken in just 24 hours: in the oncology block, an area was repurposed to accommodate 28 new admission beds.
The second was the repurposing of the library, which is located in the surgical block, to provide 21 new ICU beds. We are also continuing to work on new actions to provide up to 60 new beds in addition to those created in the hospital in areas adjacent to the library.
At Hospital del Sur in Tenerife, Sacyr Engineering and Infrastructure has continued to work during the crisis because of its essential public interest for increasing hospital care capacity. During this time, the pace of work has been accelerated to make the facilities available as soon as possible.
Assignment of cleaning teams from Sacyr Facilities to the Military Emergencies Unit.
- Coordinated action by the procurement departments of Sacyr Facilities and Valoriza Medioambiente to locate and purchase protective equipment on international markets due to the shortage of such equipment.
- A working group has also been formed to coordinate and follow up joint actions in dealings with the administration with all the sectoral associations to which we belong.
Protective equipment. Several employees of Sacyr Environment are producing 3D-printed protective visors that have been donated to various hospitals in Madrid.
Sacyr Services is continuing to provide essential services with a team of 27,000 people. We are very proud of all of them for their effort and dedication at this time:
1. Home assistance and care homes for the elderly. Our Sacyr Social personnel are reorganizing and adapting to the difficult situation of this health crisis, and are continuing to provide this indispensable service for many people in situations of dependency by adapting to the new protocols.
With the closure of some day centers, employees who work in them have offered to work in care homes that need more staff. In addition, personnel from the cleaning and maintenance division (Sacyr Facilities) and Sacyr Social have relocated to provide support to the operating teams with the heaviest workloads.
2. Integral water cycle: The supply and treatment of water is essential for our daily lives and for the operation of our companies. Aware of the importance of water, Sacyr Water has prepared a contingency plan during the COVID-19 crisis to ensure the continuity of its services, worker safety and security of supply.
It also has specific plans for each supply, treatment plant and service. Although commercial offices have been closed except for urgent needs, customer service continues to be provided by telephone or online. Most employees are operating on a teleworking basis, except for plant operators and essential services that cannot be taken care of remotely.
3. Street cleaning, waste collection and waste treatment. Sacyr Environment has reorganized the working day to avoid crowds and maintain the distancing recommendations issued by the health authorities at all times.
In addition, it is providing all protective measures to its employees, with PPE in line with the risk assessment for each job, disinfecting vehicle cabs and intensifying the cleaning of service facilities.
4. Maintenance of highways and facilities. Sacyr Maintenance is maintaining essential communication, surveillance, winter road clearing and incident response services in all highway maintenance contracts to ensure the safety and transit of goods for supplying cities and towns.
Personnel follow strict safety protocols and all guidelines issued in response to COVID-19.
5. Cafestore is the group’s catering subsidiary serving various hospitals in Madrid, for which it has reinforced the patient workforce with volunteers from other businesses that have had to close in order to handle the 50% increase in activity.