The Club de Excelencia en Sostenibilidad (Excellence in Sustainability Club), a business association committed to sustainable growth, highlights RARX as a product that optimizes urban recycling and the circular economy, and includes it in the Catalogue of Best Practices in Circular Economy.
In three years, RARX has become an international standard-bearer in modified asphalt mixtures, used to pave 600 kilometers of roadway in Spain, Italy, Chile, and Mexico. Developed by Valoriza, the product has achieved several milestones, including:
• Construction of the world’s second RARx factory, in Irapuato (state of Guanajuato, Mexico). Production, which will supply Mexico and the southern United States, is slated to begin in July 2022.
• ETA 20/0377 (European Technical Assessment): In December 2021, the European Commission approved the standard permitting RARX’s CE marking, positioning the additive at the highest level.
• In June 2020, the Ministry of Public Works approved the use of RARx for its own projects.
• RARX is also included in the first Catalogue of Best Practices in Circular Economy, designed by the Ministry for Ecological Transition and Demographic Challenge.
• RARX was runner-up at the 2017 European Business Awards for the Environment.
RARX is an additive used to modify asphalt mixtures that is made from a substantial base of crumb rubber powder from the shredding of end-of-life tires (ELTs), which contributes considerably to the environmental sustainability of the mixtures that incorporate it.
Mixtures fortified with RARx display better properties and technical performance than conventional mixtures, with increased durability, greater resistance to cracking and deformation, decreased noise levels from traffic, among other advantages.
The company Cirtec markets technological products and solutions based on the use of materials (tire crumb) obtained from re-using ELTs and other waste-derived bi-products.
Circular economy and sustainability
At Sacyr, we aim to continue paving the road to a new model of economic circularity, which plays an instrumental role in our journey toward sustainability.